Cleaning makeup brushes may not be your idea of a good time, but if you can’t remember the last time you did it, you need to do it ASAP! Here’s an easy way to clean those brushes quickly.
It may not be one of your favorite parts of your beauty routine, but cleaning makeup brushes is necessary! This is one of the easiest tricks I know for getting squeaky clean brushes (and it’s cheap)!
Here’s what you need:
- Your sink
- Bowl of lukewarm water
- Baby shampoo (or you can use any type of gentle soap that won’t irritate your skin/eyes)
1. Start by running your brushes under lukewarm water in the sink. Focus on the ends of the bristles, not near the head (where the handle meets the bristles), this can loosen them up and weaken them.
2. Fill a bowl with lukewarm water and a squirt of baby shampoo. Gently swirl your brushes in the water. If a brush is really dirty you can use your fingers or palm to work up a lather in the brush.
3. Rinse the brush with running water. Repeat steps 2 and 3 if necessary.
4. Reshape your bristles and lay the brushes flat on a cloth to dry.
While I spritz my brushes with a daily cleaner (I use the e.l.f. Daily Brush Cleaner), it’s still a good idea to give your brushes a deep clean about once a week!
Are your brushes in need of cleaning? Get to it! :)
Originally published February 25, 2016